Transit Options from Rome Airport to Rome Termini
Roma Termini is the major rail hub of the Italian capital, offering its passengers subway connections to every corner of the city as well as train links to other parts of the country. Fortunately, Leonardo da Vinci Airport is well connected to the main train station. Thus, if you wish to reach Termini Station once landing at FCO Airport, you can opt for a comfortable Rome airport taxi ride, a luxurious Rome airport transfer, or an autonomous car rental journey. Alternatively, bus transit is the most affordable way to travel from Rome Airport to Rome Train Station, while Rome airport trains are also a cost-effective choice.
|Options||Price (€)||Price ($)||Duration|
|Regional Bus (Night)||5||5.50||40 min|
|Leonardo Express||14||15.40||32 min|
Rome Airport to Train Station by Taxi
Rome airport taxis are readily available at the FCO taxi ranks no matter the day or time. Once collecting your luggage, you’ll have to follow the signs to the airport taxi stands, lying outside the Arrivals area of each terminal. Catching your cab from that locations is crucial in order to avoid getting scammed or overcharged. Verily, many individual drivers approach unsuspected travelers claiming to offer so-called low-cost fares and quick rides. Thus, if you get in one of the white taxis with the distinctive “Taxi” sign on their roof, which are lining up at the taxi stands, you’ll avoid the risk of getting ripped off. In any case, you should note that official Rome taxis have the “Comune di Roma” sign on their doors and their license number on the doors, the back of the car, as well as inside the vehicle.
Rome airport taxi drivers can’t deny rides but have to drive their passengers to their destinations.
Rome airport taxis offer set fares for rides from Rome Airport to Rome Termini. Thus, your trip will cost 50€/54.50$. This fare includes all extra fees (luggage, night rides, etc.). However, even though your taxi fare won’t be affected by potential traffic jams, the duration of your travel will be dependent on the roads’ congestion. During peak hours, the usual 40-60-minute traveling time from FCO to Roma Termini can rise to 80 minutes. On the other hand, tipping is optional. As a matter of fact, it isn’t even customary. Locals usually just round up the fare for satisfying rides. In any case, you should be able to pay the fare in cash and via a debit or credit card, as Rome taxis should be equipped with POS. Still, many Rome taxi drivers claim that their machines are out of order and that’s the reason why they accept only cash payments.
Our Tip 1: You should ask for a receipt and keep it at the end of the ride. It will be proven extremely useful in case of forgotten items inside the cab.
Our Tip 2: You can also opt for a ride-sharing service from Rome Airport to Rome Train Station.
Rome Airport to Train Station by Bus
Local buses don’t run from and to Leonardo da Vinci Airport, as it is located outside the city limits in the Fiumicino area. Still, plenty of private bus lines handle rides from FCO to Roma Termini, providing airport passengers with various and affordable services. In detail, if you have settled on a bus journey from Rome Airport to Rome Train Station, you’ll have the following options in your hands:
- Rome Airport Bus: Traveling to Termini Station without in-between stops, Rome Airport Bus needs approximately 50 minutes to reach its destination. It runs from 00:05 am to 10:00 pm every 30-60 minutes. Its stop is to be found near Exit 6 of T3. Buses actually leave from bus stand no.15. A one-way ticket for Rome Airport Bus costs 6.90€/7.60$, and tickets for round trips are priced at 9.90€/10.90$. You can buy your ticket online, through the airport ticket offices, or inside the bus from the driver. Children younger than 5 travel for free.
- SIT Bus and Shuttle: The SIT Buses travel from FCO Airport to Roma Termini in about 60 minutes as they make two stops on their way. They depart from bus stand no.12 from 08:30 am to 09:55 pm. Tickets are available from the driver and the company’s personnel at the airport bus station and online. They cost 7€/7.70$ (13€/14.20$ for round trips) and are free for kids up to 4 years of age. Please keep in mind that if you miss your route, you can take the next one as long as there are available seats.
No matter the chosen bus company, online tickets are recommended, as when purchasing your ticket online, you also reserve a seat.
- T.A.M. Bus and Shuttle: T.A.M. Buses call at bus stand no.13 from 05:40 am to 02:30 am. They run on a 25-minute frequency (every 50 minutes during the night and in the early morning hours) and get to Roma Termini in about 50-60 minutes. The ticket for the bus ride from Rome Airport to Termini Station is 6€/6.60$, whereas return rides cost 11€/12$. You can buy your ticket from the ticket counters, online, or inside the bus.
- Terravision: Another direct option for your journey from Rome Airport to Roma Termini is the Terravision Coaches. Running directly to Termini, buses operate from 08:30 am to 00:30 am every 45 minutes and get to their terminus in about 55 minutes. They leave from T3’s bus platform no.14. A one-way trip from FCO to Roma Termini is 6€/6.60$ and round journeys are priced at 11€/12$. Tickets can be bought online, onboard, and from the ticket offices. In any case, children up to 4 years old don’t pay for their tickets, while you are allowed to catch the next route in case of an unexpected delay.
Rome Airport to Train Station by Night Bus
During the night, Cotral Buses link Rome Airport to Termini Station, even though they don’t run to the main Rome train station at other times. Hence, Cotral Buses depart from the T1 bus stop located on the T1 Arrivals level every 60 minutes. You’ll spot signs all over terminal 1 indicating “Regional Bus Station”. You’ll find an available route from 01:45 am to 05:45 am at a 5€/5.50$ price if bought online. Please remember that online tickets must be validated when entering the bus. Alternatively, you can buy your ticket from the driver using cash. Nevertheless, in that case, you’ll have to pay 7€/7/70$. Children up to 1-meter travel for free. Overall, your journey from FCO to Roma Termini will last around 40 minutes.
Our Tip: Please note that Cotral Buses don’t have designated luggage space.
Rome Airport to Train Station by Train
Train rides from FCO to Roma Termini are widely preferred by travelers wishing to reach their destination fast and/or affordably. In detail, there are two train lines connecting Rome Airport to Train Station: the fast Leonardo Express and the cheap yet indirect FL1 Line.
- Leonardo Express: The super-fast Leonardo Express travels directly from Rome Airport to Rome Train Station in just 32 minutes. It runs at a 15-minute frequency from 06:08 am to 11:23 pm and leaves from the airport train station, situated in front of T3, close to both Rome airport terminals. The train carriages are all first class, kitted with baggage space and charging outlets, while there are accessible cars as well. The ticket for Leonardo Express is 14€/15.40$ and can be bought from the Trenitalia website, the airport ticket machines and counters (open from 06:45 am to 10:12 pm), and from some shops (tobacconists, etc.). Online tickets are already validated and can be used within 90 minutes of the chosen departing time. Conversely, other tickets must be validated at the validation machines. Please note that in case of rail strikes, the train is replaced by a bus line.
Children up to 4 years old travel for free at both train lines, whereas one kid aged 4-12 per each paying adult is out of charge.
- The Regional FL1 Rome Airport Train: The Regional FL1 Train is a cheaper option. Still, it is a time-consuming and tedious alternative as it requires a subway ride while doesn’t have luggage racks. FL1 Trains run every 15 minutes (every 30 minutes on Sundays and holidays) from 05:57 am to 11:27 pm (00:27 am on Sundays) and cost 8€/8.80$. Tickets can be purchased online. In fact, online tickets don’t need validations. However, you’ll have to print and display them at the turnstiles. On the other hand, you can buy your ticket at the ticket offices (from 06:45 am to 10:12 pm) or the automatic vendors. In that case, you’ll have to validate them before catching the train. The FL1 Train will take you to Ostiense Station after a 34-minute ride. From there, you’ll hop on Metro Line B to Roma Termini, running every 8 minutes. Nevertheless, you’ll have to buy an additional ticket for your subway transit, costing 1.50€/1.60$. Thus, the total duration of the journey from Rome Airport to Termini Station will last around 71 minutes and cost 9.50€/10.40$.
Car Rental from Rome Airport to Train Station
Rome airport car rentals are ideal for travelers arriving at Leonardo da Vinci Airport and wishing to get to Termini Station in their own way and pace. They are also the right transit option for passengers wishing to explore Rome’s surrounding areas. Fortunately, Fiumicino Airport houses numerous car rental providers. Hence, their prices tend to be competitive. As a matter of fact, if you book your Rome car rental in advance, you can ferret out tempting deals and choose between a wide variety of vehicle models.
Your journey from FCO to Roma Termini should last around 40-60 minutes under normal traffic. During peak hours, getting stuck in gridlock is highly possible. In that case, traveling time can be up to 80 minutes. Once getting to the station, you’ll have to park your car. Unfortunately, Termini Station doesn’t have parking facilities, whereas street parking in the nearby area is a really hard task. In fact, free street parking is almost non-existent. However, you can opt for one of the car parks lying close by.
Rome Airport Transfers from FCO to Roma Termini
Can you think of a more convenient way to get from Rome Airport to Rome Train Station than a private airport transfer? Rome airport transfers are the ultimate way to reach Rome’s train station as they offer many side services and aim at providing luxurious traveling experiences. Thus, when landing at Rome Fiumicino Airport, you’ll find your driver at the Arrivals levels, on tap to assist you with your luggage, escort you to the vehicle parked outside the terminal, and drive you smoothly to your destination, giving you useful tips on the way. On the other hand, if you are troubled about the cost, you should compare your options. Various private airport companies operate at the airport. Hence, you most probably find a value-for-money deal for your transfer from Rome Airport to Termini.
How do I get from Rome Airport to train station?
Apart from the ordinary airport taxis and the lavish Rome airport transfers, bus and train rides are also an option for travelers opting for a budget-friendly transit mode. On the other hand, passengers, who relish autonomous journeys, usually settle on a car rental for their trip from FCO to Roma Termini.
How much is a taxi from Rome Airport to the train station?
The taxi ride from Rome Airport to Rome Train Station costs a set fare of 50€/54.50$. This price includes all extra charges. What’s more, tipping isn’t obligatory. As a matter of fact, locals don’t tip their taxi drivers, but they simply round up the final fee.
How much is the train ticket from FCO to Termini?
Leonardo Express connecting Rome Airport to Termini Station in just 32 minutes costs 14€15.40$. Conversely, the ticket for the more affordable yet less convenient FL1 Train to Ostiense Station is priced at 8€/8.80$. From that point, the subway ride to Termini with Metro Line B will cost you a further 1.50€/1.60$.
How much is shuttle from Fiumicino to Termini?
Depending on the chosen Rome airport bus company, the fare for the ride from FCO to Roma Termini varies. In general terms, you can expect a 6€-7€/6.60$-7.70$ fare for your bus journey during the day, while night rides with Cotral Buses cost 5€/5.50$ if tickets are bought online and 7€/7.70$ if purchased onboard.