Rome Airport Car Rental
Car rental at Rome Airport is a highly appreciated transit choice, especially for travelers wishing to plan their journey’s itinerary in their own way and pace. As Fiumicino Airport hosts plenty of car rental agencies, its passengers can ferret out premium car rental models and value-for-money prices. Verily, both international providers and local companies are present at Leonardo da Vinci Airport. What’s more, apart from the agencies with desks inside the FCO terminals, many car rental offices lie in the nearby areas, providing their customers with shuttle rides from and to Rome Airport.
On the other hand, Rome airport car rentals are considered a rather “bad” choice for rides exclusively within the city limits. Rome’s streets are often narrow, parking is difficult, expensive, or both, and the historical center of the city is a ZTL (zona traffico limitato) zone, meaning that it is accessible only to taxis and residents for the most part of the day. Still, car rental at Rome Fiumicino Airport comes with plenty and significant advantages:
Even though efficient and budget-friendly, Rome’s public transit means can get tedious. Trying to find the closest departure and destination points, the right route, and your way to your journey’s end is a real hassle, while potential changes of lines can make the overall experience even more tiring. Moreover, Rome taxis aren’t usually hailed from the street. Thus, you’ll have to call your cab or head to the nearest taxi stand. Conversely, with your Rome airport car rental, you can get wherever you want, whenever you feel like it.
Exploring the Nearby Areas
Many can argue that car rental at Rome Airport isn’t a wise choice for traveling around the city. Still, Rome airport car rentals are the handiest option for rides outside the city zone. With a car rental, you can visit Rome’s surrounding areas and longer-distanced Italian cities as well and can drive to regions and sites otherwise almost impossible to reach.
Driving with the Vehicle of your Dreams is Totally Doable
Rome airport car rentals are various. From sedans and full-size vehicles to mini, compact, and economy cars, and from luxury models to SUVs, you can rent the car of your dreams or at least a vehicle that suits your needs. Are you traveling with your family? You should opt for a spacious vehicle. Otherwise, a convertible model will be the ideal way to enjoy sunny rides in Rome. Please keep in mind that the sooner you make your reservation, the more available vehicle models you’ll find.
Our Tip: For city rides, a mini or compact car is recommended as streets are narrow and parking spots hard to find. Fiat 500 and Fiat Panda are some of the most popular Rome airport car rentals in that category. On the other hand, if you are planning on traveling around, an SUV or a sedan should be among your first choices.
Remove the Hassle and the Unnecessary Waste of Time from your Journey
Public transit rides come with many drawbacks. Thus, why try to find your destination carrying your heavy luggage when you can safely store them at your Rome airport car rental and travel hassle-free? Moreover, buses and trains often get congested, making rides considerably inconvenient and increasing the risk of getting pickpocketed. With a Fiumicino airport car rental, you can enjoy safe and comfortable journeys during your stay in Rome.
Rome Taxis are Comfortable but Expensive
Although being a convenient way to reach your destination, Rome airport taxis can be a costly option. Verily, if you opt for Rome taxis for all the rides during your trip, you’ll end up paying a significant amount of money. On the other hand, if you search and compare your options, you can easily find a car rental at Rome Airport that suits your requirements and your budget.
Rome Airport Car Rental Companies
Rome Fiumicino Airport houses many car rental providers. All the well-known agencies have desks inside the terminals, while local companies also operate at FCO Airport. The car rental desks are to be found in Office Tower 2. You can easily reach them via the pedestrian walkways leading to the multi-story parking area if you follow the signs from the Arrivals level. Please note that free Wi-Fi is provided in all the Car Rental Center zone. Dropping-offs take place at the same area as the pick-ups. Explicitly, the car rental agencies present at Leonardo da Vinci Airport are:
|Autovia||Parking Building B (Floor 4)|
|Avis - Budget||Parking Building A (Floor 2)|
|Europcar||Parking Building B (Floor 3)|
|Goldcar||Parking Building B (Floor 4)|
|Hertz - Thrifty - Dollar||Parking Building A (Floor 1)|
|Italy Car Rent||Parking Building C (Floor 4)|
|Karym Rent||Parking Building C (Floor 4)|
|Drivalia||Parking Building B (Floor 3)|
|Locauto - Enterprise - National - Alamo||Parking Building C (Floor 3)|
|Maggiore||Parking Building A (Floor 2)|
|OK Mobility||Parking Building A (Ground Floor)|
|Rent 4U||Parking Building C (Floor 4)|
|RENTALPLUS||Parking Building C (Floor 4)|
|Sicily by Car - Auto Europa||Parking Building C (Floor 4)|
|Sixt||Parking Building B (Floor 4)|
How to Ensure a Top Rome Airport Car Rental Experience
- In-advance bookings are always recommended. In that way, you’ll find the best deals, you’ll have access to a wide variety of available models, and you’ll save time at the airport.
- Previous customers’ reviews can be really helpful when trying to choose a Rome airport car rental company and a vehicle type.
- You’ll most probably be asked for a credit card. Please note that the main driver’s name must be the same as the cardholder’s.
- Full insurance is advisable to be on the safe side in case of an accident or damage. However, you should also check if your credit card offers insurance coverage.
- It is recommended to take some pics of the vehicle before starting your ride to capture any existing damages.
- You should refill the vehicle by yourself before dropping it off, as Rome airport car rental companies usually charge a lot for fuel.
- Fiumicino airport car rental companies charge per 24 hours. Thus, you should plan your return time wisely to avoid getting charged for an extra day.
- Out-of-hours dropping-offs are also possible. In that case, you should return the vehicle and leave the keys in the company’s key box.
- The age limit for car rental at Rome Airport is 21 years. For some luxury models, this age limit is higher. In any case, young drivers (up to 25 years of age) pay an extra fee.
- The required documents to rent a car at Rome Airport are your ID/passport, your at least-one-year driver’s license, and -most probably- a credit card. If your country of origin is outside the EU or your license isn’t written in Latin characters, an International Driving Permit will also be necessary. Many Rome airport car rental companies are somewhat tolerable concerning this policy. However, during a potential inspection, police won’t be.
- You should at all times respect traffic laws and carry your documents with you.
- The average cost of a Rome car rental is 45€/50$. However, add-ons (GPS, child seats, etc.) add extra fees to the initial price. Nevertheless, during your research, you may find deals including the desired extra amenities.
- Some Rome airport car rental agencies may set mileage restrictions.
- Motorists in Rome drive on the right side.
- The emergency number is 112.
- The alcohol limit for drivers in Rome is 0.05%.
- Seatbelts and child seats are mandatory in Rome
- Car sharing is also an option at Fiumicino Airport. If you settle on this alternative, you’ll pick up your vehicle from the upper floor of the T1 short-stay parking lot.
- Rome airport’s passengers have access to chauffeur-driven car rental services as well.
What car rental companies are in Rome Airport?
Fiumicino Airport is the main airport in Rome and one of the most important European aviation hubs. Thus, it houses many car rental companies, from international agencies to domestic providers. In detail, 15 car rental agencies (Avis – Budget, Sixt, Hertz, Europcar, OK Mobility, Autovia, etc.) operate at FCO at the moment, providing quality services at competitive prices.
How do I pick up a rental car at Rome Airport?
Rome airport car rental offices lie in Office Tower 2, reachable via the covered passageways connecting FCO terminals to the multi-story car park. The pick-up locations for all car rental companies are to be found at Buildings A, B, and C of the multi-level parking garage.
Where is Avis car rental at Fiumicino Airport in Rome?
The Avis desk is to be found at the Arrivals level and operates from 07:00 am to midnight. The Avis car rentals are located on the second floor of Parking Building A. Please note that after-hour returns are doable. Verily, Avis has a designated Keybox on site.